Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Week 25 - La Cygne

Well, first of all, I would just like to say that my companion recieved approximately 12-15 letters this last week. I received approximately 0-0. Just saying.
This week was good. The weather has thankfully been a little better this week, and we have actually had a few sunny days! I am soooo excited for the cold to be gone. 
We were able to go up to Liberty on Saturday for the baptism! It was so cool. So the best thing about it was that it was a wedding/baptism. Honest. Very soon after I left Liberty the sisters committed them to baptism, and they were working toward Saturday as their date. Then the next week John (the man) comes to church again and is wondering why everyone keeps calling them Brother and Sister C. They asked the sisters later (2 weeks before the baptism) if they know they aren't married. Of course it was a shock, because they have been together for almost 10 years! But it is awesome to me that even though they knew they had to get married before getting baptized, they didn't want to just postpone everything for months. They called up all

their family and the ward was able to organize this awesome wedding for them. It was so great. We walked into the church and he saw me and was so excited! The sisters had told him I might be coming and he was happy to see me. It was also really cool because literally, they look different. There is something about the gospel that makes people physically change their appearance. I don't know what it is, but I can see it. And of course, they just look and feel happier. So they had the wedding in the chapel, then they went and got changed and the baptism started. Then they got changed again and had the reception in the cultural hall. It was awesome! It was so good to see so many ward members that I love and be able to be there for all of that.
So that was of course the highlight of my week. I was so happy we got to go and see that! We also had some good experiences this week in our area. :) One day in particular we had nothing planned for about 2 hours. We decided we should go tracting in La Cygne, because we don't have many contacts there to visit, and we needed to meet some people. Neither of us really like tracting, but decided to have a good attitude about it. And of course, all the people in the houses we went to talked to us. One in particular- we knocked and just started talking to this lady about nothing in particular, and she just invites us right in, asks us what church we are from, and what our beliefs are. Well man, that never happens! Sometimes you feel like you are forcing our beliefs into the conversation because it is your job, but she was really excited. We were able to talk to her a lot and answer some pretty big questions she had just about life, and we are going back next week. She is active in her religion, but we will see. She liked us a lot! Anyway, sometimes I feel like Heavenly Father is blessing us too much with success or good days when I feel I "don't deserve it", but of course He is going to help us! It is His work! Everyday has its ups and downs, and some days feel like a lot of downs, but something always happens to make it worth it. A good phone call, seeing someone progress and change just a little, people who are excited to see you- whatever it is, something always happens. I love it.
Besides that, of course Blue Mound was fun. That is the little town from the pictures of all the cats and pretty much all the funny pictures I have sent. At one point we went into this senior center and found these two old ladies doing a puzzle and started talking to them. We talked about faith for a while, then asked if they or anyone they knew wanted a visit from them. Of course, then it comes out that one of the ladies is from a reorganized lds church and she told us she was an elder in the priesthood. It was so interesting to me the feeling I got when she said that. I got this huge pit in my stomach, and it just felt so wrong. I have found that as a missionary I am able to discern things a lot more than I have ever been able to. You can just feel things differently. I can't explain it. And I was grateful at that moment for the understanding and light we have of the Gospel, and the way the priesthood works. The more you learn about the gospel, the more your life seems to light up with understanding. It all just makes sense! And the more you learn, the more it makes sense. It is amazing.
Well, it was a good week. I just finished my 60 day Book of Mormon read and started my new project, which is to read the Book of Mormon and read all the footnotes as I go. I have done it for the last 4 days and just finished 1 Nephi 1! It will take awhile, basically the rest of my mission, but I am learning a lot!
I love you all! Have a great week.
-Sister Hafen

No comments: