Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Week 54 - Great Bend, Kansas

Hello everyone! Don't worry, this week wasn't quite as stressful and dramatic as last week. We did indeed find our missing investigator, and things are ok. She is really stressed out with her life right now, but hopefully will be baptized soon. I will let you know more about it after we meet with her this week. Tanya (the one who lost her fiance) is doing a little better, she isn't making the best choices in the world, but she has calmed down a lot. So things have been better this week! I finally feel like I know where I am (it usually takes me about 2 weeks to get used to a place) and will be doing my first exchange this week. It is weird to be on the other end of it this time- I am supposed to be the example and see how they are doing instead of just being the companion shipped off to another area. It will be good!

We had some awesome things happen this week! We are teaching a mom and daughter (age 10) and they are doing really well. On Wednesday we committed them for baptism on the 26th, and we were really excited for them to come to church on Sunday. They were all ready and excited to come, and we went and picked them up with a member and things were good. We were sitting right in front of them in church because there weren't enough seats, and then about halfway through the first talk Sister Glade turns to me and says "Pam & Ellie are gone!" I looked back, and they were! We were confused. We went out and looked around, but they were nowhere to be found. We then got our keys and drove towards their house, and found them walking home. We were so confused and asked them what was wrong. Sadly the mom Pam gets anxiety really bad and forgot to take her medicine that day, and she wasn't understanding the talk and there were lots of kids running around and she just couldn't handle it. Sad, but what do you do. We are going to go over today and do some damage control, but I hope she will be up to coming again next week. We also had another investigator named Anthony come to church. He is so awesome! He has the loudest laugh I have ever heard. The sisters have been teaching him for a while but it wasn't until they took him on a church tour and he started coming to church that he really started to get serious. He loves church! He can feel the difference. He should hopefully be getting baptized in the next couple of weeks.Lots of exciting things happening here!

Oh, we also saw our cute little golden couple, Stan and Nadine this week. I really felt like they needed to hear the Plan of Salvation, so that is what we taught. They loved it! They have been going to their Christian/Methodist church in their tiny town for probably 50 years, and at the end Stan said that we answered questions no one had ever been able to answer before. We brought a member couple with us and it was awesome. We got to the end and had the sister bear her testimony about why the celestial kingdom is her goal. The spirit was so strong! She talked about how important her family was to her and they are everything, and that anything is worth it to get there. Nadine started to tear up and it was just really neat. They are just so great. They are still kind of hesitant to come to church (because they have been so involved for so long in their church, understandable), but I think we will get them there. Next week is the primary program and they would love that! We also have a cute lady in the ward we think would be perfect for them. She was born and raised in the church but when she got married stopped coming and has been going to a Methodist church and is really involved with it. Sound familiar? But we have been working with her and she really wants to come back. She has come to church a couple of times, and has been reading the Book of Mormon again. This week we were over and she was telling us about how she was at a meeting at her church and was doing a little devotional thing. She made up some little flyers with the scripture 1 John 4:11-12 which is "Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us." But before she handed it out she read it and thought, "that isn't what I believe!" Since she has a testimony of Joseph Smith, she decided she couldn't hand it out and she didn't. Then she asked us about it and we told her about the JST, which clarifies what that is talking about. She told us "I realized I need to get back into the fold- the right fold!" I just thought that was so cute that she recognized that and wouldn't hand it out. Anyway, we think she and Stan and Nadine would be great for each other! So hopefully we will be able to get that going.

Oh, another exciting thing- I rode a bike in a skirt for the first time this week. Let me tell you what, it is exciting. And a skill that I am happy to say I am developing. Your skirt has to be long enough that you don't expose yourself but short enough to ride comfortably, and you have to balance your bag right, but by the end of the week doing it I could successfully ride with one hand while using the phone. Don't worry, I will be careful and not get into an accident. It is fun though! Especially with the weather getting nicer. It was funny because we just got my bike fixed- one of the tires had a hole in it. We went and pumped it up and I rode it around one day and was fine. Then the next day we were riding again, and I was struggling! We were riding on a flat surface (let's face it, I am in western Kansas, everything is flat) but I was dragging. Sister Glade was way ahead of me. Finally I stopped for a rest and checked my tire...and it was flat again. And not only that one, but the other one too! Two flat tires. So no wonder I couldn't ride it! I felt much better about myself after that. We got them pumped up again and life was good.

And the last exciting news- we got to go to the temple on Saturday!!!!! We had three recent converts from the ward go do baptisms for the dead, so we got to go with them. The extra exciting part was that we got there early enough to do a session before baptisms started! It was actually for a guy in our ward who is going on his mission next month, so that was cool. But anyway, I haven't been since the MTC (a year ago!) so it was amazing. You pretty much had to drag us out at the end because it just felt so good to be there. Even though I haven't been in a year, my testimony of the temple has grown so much in this last year. The power we gain from going is real! I am excited to be able to go basically whenever I want when I get home- it isn't like that here! Anyway, baptisms were also awesome and all the recent converts really enjoyed it. Besides the water being cold. :)

Well, it was a great week! I love you all!

-Sister Hafen

No comments: