Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Week 63 - Great Bend, Kansas

 Hello everyone! And the news you have all been dying to hear…I am staying in Great Bend! Who knew. At first I was kind of shocked. But now I am ok with it. There are a lot of people here I love! It has been a little hard for me to be so far away from everyone, but the all-mission conference really helped give me a boost. And I have finally (after what, 14 months?) decided that I need to stop worrying and complaining about where I am serving, or wish I was serving somewhere else in the mission. I trust my mission president 100% to go by inspiration, so I know that where I go and who I am with is done by revelation. So I don’t really know why the Lord wants me to spend another 6 weeks out here, but I will figure it out! Sister Lund is moving to Hays, which is just the next area over, still in my district. So we will go on exchanges next transfer.Kind of funny! My new companion is going to be Sister Powell, who I served around at the VC for 2 transfers. It will be fun! I already love her. When I talked to President VanKomen on Saturday about transfers he basically told me that I will probably only be in GB one more transfer. I have mentioned to him that I would love to end my mission at the VC if that is what he feels is right, and he told me to remind him that in 6 weeks he is going to pray about sending me back to finish my mission there. So we'll see! But whatever happens will be ok.

Ok, so this week! Kind of crazy! This week was when the weather has really started to turn chilly, and of course most of the week we didn't have a car. Someone has a sense of humor. We took the car in last Monday and it was supposed to finished on Thursday, then it was Friday, then when we called them Friday they told us their air compressor or something they use to paint the cars was broken, so our car still wasn't painted. So stressful because we needed our car to drive to Salina in an hour. But it all worked out, we were able to get permission to drive a loaner car and all was well. They called us on Saturday to tell us it was finally done, but we didn't get home until late so we picked it up this morning. It is beautiful! It is nice to have a non-holy car again. :) Being without our car was actually not too bad! We did a lot of service for members this week, and were able to get rides to everything we needed. The Lord was taking care of us for sure.

Well, besides that of course the highlight of the week was the all-mission conference! We had to get up at 3 am to get ready and get there on time, but totally worth it. It is always so fun to go to those conferences and see everyone. I was especially happy to see Sister Adamson and Sister Sasaki, who both go home in a few days. And we got to bring Anthony with us, and he had a great experience. I was interested to see what Elder Scott would do with the conference, because both other apostles that have come have done it differently. He let us all come up and shake his hand first (4th apostle I have shaken their hand on my mission!) and then we got started. He had some different companionships and fake investigators come up on the stand and demonstrate how they would use the last 2 paragraphs in the intro of the Book of Mormon to prove the validity of the Restoration. It was cool! I didn't get to do it but it was fun to watch the missionaries and how they did under that pressure. He talked a little bit after that, and then for the rest of the meeting he opened it up for questions. Both Elder Nelson and Elder Bednar did that same thing, and it was awesome. I think probably the most powerful part of the conference was when he talked about Jesus Christ. One of the sisters asked the question, "how have you used the Atonement in your life?" He told her he would answer that one last, and then he went on. But at the end he just testified of Christ and it was amazing. I can't even really remember the words he said, but I do remember how I felt. One of the things he did say was "I know Jesus Christ is a glorified resurrected being because I know Him." When he said that, the spirit was so strong and powerful. It felt like those words were just pounded into me by the spirit. I have gained such a testimony of apostles and prophets on my mission! They truly are special witnesses of Christ. I have been so blessed to be able to be around so many of them and feel of the spirit they have. The church is truly led by Jesus Christ! Another thing Elder Scott said was just that, that the church is led by Christ, and that He isn't an "absent Savior." So so true. He really is there, we may not be able to see Him, but that is where faith comes in.

After the conference we ate and talked of course and we introduced Anthony to everyone. Elder Scott even came into the cultural hall and ate with all of us! Anthony got to shake his hand and talk to him for a minute. What an opportunity for him. Then of course we were off to Liberty! We were possibly thinking of going to Independence and Liberty, but ended up not having enough time, so just decided to go to the jail. We got there and watched the Joseph Smith movie, then did a tour. I love Liberty Jail so much. That place will always have such a special place in my heart. The spirit there is so strong and it is tangible if you go there prepared to feel it. I have seen so many miracles there, and it was exactly what I needed on Saturday, especially since I had talked to President about transfers right before we did the  
tour. It really helped me realize how blessed we are for everything we have. I don't know how many times I told people about our trials being blessings when I was serving there, but I am finally starting to internalize that myself. Of course, wait until my next big trial, right? :) But I have also really realized that sometimes our trials are self-inflicted because we refuse to allow Heavenly Father to be in control of our lives. Sometimes we are like little kids who will do anything to get their way and whine when they don't. Today I was reading in Mosiah 2 about keeping the commandments in verse 4. One thing that stood out was the last sentence, which says "and who had taught them to keep the commandments of God, that they might rejoice and be filled with love towards God and all men." Sometimes we think of commandments as the Word of Wisdom or the 10 commandments, but really a commandment is anything you have been asked to do by God- either by Him directly through prayer or scriptures, by his prophets and church leaders, and especially through the spirit. The purpose of all we are asked to do as members of the church and disciples of Jesus Christ is so we can be filled with that love. Sometimes I don't feel that! I just do things because they are what I do, and it is a rule. But I think I need to change my attitude. We won't be filled with love if we are just doing something to do it. Especially if we don't want to do it. It is all about attitude! Heavenly Father wants to bless us with that love, but we have to be open to it by being happy and willing to do what He asks. So anyway, I was grateful for that chance to go to the jail again and remember some things.

I also found out something pretty cool at the jail as I was talking to the sisters that are serving in Liberty 1st, the ward I was in a year ago. I guess last transfer one of the sisters was going through old progress records, which are papers that show who we have taught during the week. She noticed the name Jessica Smith a lot on them, but for some reason there was no teaching record (another paper where we keep track of investigators and what we teach them) for her. But for some reason that name stuck out, and she wanted to contact her. She didn't live the same place she had last year, so they decided to call her. She answered and they told her who they were, and she told them she was so glad they called because she had been trying to find out what ward she was in because she had moved to Springfield. They asked her if she was baptized, and she told them not yet but now she was ready. I don't know if that name rings any bells for you, but Jessica Smith is a girl we were teaching and even had a baptismal date at one point! But her husband prevented her from being baptized, and it was kind of heartbreaking. I think that was last November/December. When they told me that I was so happy! I don't know why Heavenly Father is blessing me right now to see some of the fruits that have come from serving, but it really is a blessing. They are also baptizing a kid named Bryce that we had been teaching when I was there. I have a testimony that we really never know what impact our actions will have later on. Not even just in missionary work- in everything we do! Visiting teaching/home teaching, keeping in touch with friends, just being nice to someone! Everything we do every day has an impact. And if we are doing our best each day to serve others, whether or not they get baptized or change their life, we have touched them in some way. And that is what we need to do! That is our job.

Well, I could go on, but I will spare you. I am grateful for this week and the things I have learned. I am grateful to be serving here in Great Bend and the things I am learning here. I am grateful for living apostles and prophets and especially for the Holy Ghost who testifies of truth. And I am grateful for all of you! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving this week. And don't forget that it is my mom's birthday on Wednesday! Give her a call or email and tell her how wonderful she is, because she is. I owe a lot to my mom!

I love you all!

-Sister Hafen

No comments: