Wow. I don’t even know what to say right now! I cannot believe this is my last email as a missionary. Really, it doesn’t seem quite real yet. People keep asking me if I am freaking out or if it seems real, and no! I have actually been really calm this week. I didn’t even cry until today. I just can’t really imagine what life is going to be like in 2 days! I really don't remember. If any of you don't already know, I will be speaking in sacrament meeting this Sunday. You are all invited!
Wow. Also a lot has changed this week! Sister Lund (former companion who is serving at the VC) went home on Friday for a surgery. She will be back in a few weeks, but Sister Fie’eiki had to leave us to fill in the spot. So we haven’t been a trio this week, just me and Sister Browning again. It has been sad but also nice. It has been a really good week though! We have 2 new investigators this week. One of them is a lady who is good friends with a member in our ward. She has been inviting her to church and activities for a long time, but Veda (the lady) has always been too shy to come. But then a couple of weeks ago the member had a dream that Veda came to church and had a good experience, so she told Veda the next day that Veda was coming to church with her. And she did! And loved it. Then this last week we taught her the plan of salvation and I think she really liked it. We also started teaching the daughter of one of our members. She has had a rough life- she is only 18 and has 2 kids and just got caught up with the wrong crowd young- but she really has a true desire to change her life. So I am excited about both of these sisters! The work is really picking up in the ward right now, lots of good things going on. I also got to go on my last exchange this week. Woohoo! It was perfect because it was with Sister Stoker who is new. This has been her 1st transfer of her mission. It was cool to work with her and just see all the growth she is going to experience soon. I love missions! I just want everyone to go.
Of course this is transfer week and for once it has been very stress-free. Usually I am thinking about where I am going to go and who my companion is going to be, but not this time! I am being transferred to St. George, UT. I heard they just opened a new mission there. :) There were a lot of changes with the sisters and I am excited for all of them. My companion Sister Browning is going to be training a new sister! So exciting. She is going to be fantastic. It was weird to think about all the changes and know I am not involved. I am not going to be anyone's companion. After 18 months of always being around someone that will be a change!
Really until today I haven't even cried. This morning was the goodbye breakfast! Ah. It gets you everytime. If you are serving at the VC your last transfer you get to have a goodbye breakfast where all the sisters from the jail and VC come and all the senior couples. Me and 3 senior couples are going home soon, so it was for all of us. They also sing a song for you they have made up. I just bawled through mine. Last Friday at our training meeting me and Sister Browning sang a song from the 2010 EFY CD called "He Hears Every Word" and for my song they used that tune and changed the words. It was so cute and I just cried. I also had the opportunity to get up and talk for a minute. I just shared with the sisters a little of what I have learned on my mission. The most important things I have learned I think are that Heavenly Father and Christ are real and they love us and have a plan for us. Jesus Christ is our Savior. He is there to heal all pain and suffering and help us overcome our shortcomings and mistakes. I know all these things now- I guess I knew them before, but not really. But the most important thing I have learned is that I have so much more to learn. So much more to learn about the Savior. So much more to understand about God's love for us. So many scriptures to read and things to study and understand! But I am excited. The scripture I want to share from my BOM reading this week comes from 3 Nephi 27. This is Christ himself speaking to the people. I like to picture Him talking to me. In verses 13-21 (with parts taken out) it says:
"Behold I have given unto you my gospel, and this is the gospel which I have given unto you—that I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me. And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the cross, that I might draw all men unto me...And for this cause have I been lifted up; therefore, according to the power of the Father I will draw all men unto me...Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel; and ye know the things that ye must do in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do."
That is what it is all about! Remembering that Christ is our Savior, He loves us, He wants all of us to come unto Him. And we show our gratitude by following Him and doing what He asks. It is that simple. Not easy, but simple. I am grateful for my Savior. I am grateful for this opportunity to serve Him. I don't want to take the tag off! But I know I need to move on. And I am excited to apply the things I have learned here. Thank you all for any part you have had in helping me. I love you all.
-Sister Caitlin Hafen
2 comments:
Sister Hafen! It was wonderful to have had the chance to meet you. You are awesome :) good luck !
Love, Laura Fredlund
Hi Sister Hafen! How fun to find your blog:) I honestly cannot believe you are home already. Didnt you start off your mission here in Liberty? I totally remember and miss you. Good luck with all of the new adventures. Keep in touch!
The Johnston family
Post a Comment