Sunday, November 23, 2008

Our Trip to Tejas

This weekend was Kari and Matt's wedding! Yay! Robyn and I flew down to Houston on Friday for their big day. We stayed the night in Houston with Kim's sister Beth who was kind enough to let us stay with her, and then she took us to the temple Saturday morning so we could meet up with the newlyweds. We got to the temple just a few minutes before they came out, so it was perfect timing.


After the standard forever-long picture taking at el templo, we went and changed and then we went to lunch with Kari and Matt at Applebee's.
When they called us to see if we wanted to go to lunch with them Kari had mentioned that she didn't have her change of clothes so she would "have to wear her dress", and Robyn and I were hoping she meant her wedding dress and we wanted to take her to McDonald's or something and laugh. But alas, she just meant the dress she wore to the temple.


It was so funny to sit there just like we have a bunch of other times in the past and just chat and talk about life, but realize that they are married now! Weird! But also really really good.
After l
unch the four of us drove to Kari's house in Port Neches which is around a 2-hour drive from the temple. They showed us around and we drove past Matt's school and Kari's work and we saw a bunch of the damage that is still there from Hurricane Ike- pretty crazy stuff. We went to Kari's house and hung out for a while, then they took us out again and showed us the oil refineries and these cool bridges that you can basically see the Gulf of Mexico from. I love seeing where my friends are from and being able to connect stories I have heard from them with actual places and people- it makes thing so much more real to me. And thanks Matt and Kari for hanging out with us on your wedding day! But, I mean, we are Matt's 2nd and 3rd BFFs so I guess it was to be expected.


The most exciting part of the day for us was the reception, becau
se this was where we got our flowers. You see, when we told Kari we were going to come to her wedding Robyn subtly asked if she needed any bridesmaids, and we totally were! We got cute flowers and wore matching outfits and everything! We almost got matching sashes because that seems like the thing to do these days, but we eventually opted against it. So at the reception we hung out and ate and chatted with some of Kari's friends from high school. And then the most exciting part happened- the bouquet throwing.


Let's just say that there was a little struggle and a more than a couple petals ended up on the ground, but eventually Robyn came out the triumphant (and rightful) winner of the bouquet. So now I guess I have to start planning for my next wedding as a bridesmaid- I am just so in demand these days.


So all in all I would have to say my first trip to Texas was a success. I have no immediate plans of moving there, but I definitely enjoyed myself. And in case you are wondering- yes, we did mess with Texas.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Oh you... thanks for telling your version. It was really good. I enjoyed the struggle for the bouquet more than anything. You girls were the best bridesmaids ever! - Kari

Derek, Kenzee and Gage said...

Texas eh? That sounds exciting! I just came across your blog while blog-stocking... exciting Saturday night activity I must say! Well, I just wanted to say hi! I hope everything is going great for you!