Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Week 13 - Liberty Jail
December 7, 2009
Good news! I passed off all my lessons this week! What this means is in chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel (where all the lessons are) for lessons 1-3 I had to memorize all the bullet points in the full lesson plan at the back of each, then also a scripture for each principle in every lesson and recite those to my District Leader. Then lessons 4 and 5 I had to memorize a scripture for each commandment/principle and also the commitments for each one, then teach those to my Zone Leaders using both. So all in all I memorized over 40 scriptures plus all the other stuff, and it took me about 8 weeks to finally pass them all off. So I was so excited because now it meant I could drive! I told President, then I called the senior missionary in charge of cars so he could authorize me to drive! And then...he couldn't find my paperwork. And he still can't. Lame. So we were in Independence today and I re-did everything, but I still have to do a couple more things before I can, but that's ok! I will do it. That sounds so dumb, but I am so excited to be able to drive again! Simple pleasures here in the mission field. And of course Satan knows that I was really excited about that, so he puts in these little road blocks to try and discourage me. That little stinker. But he will not succeed!
What else happened this week- well it is officially winter! November was pretty nice, but it is getting nice and chilly now. We are trying not to let that get us down though! The other day we were walking up this hill trying to contact some former investigators and it was freezing! But we were singing and trying to remember the words to the primary Christmas songs. It was hilarious! We must have looked ridiculous, walking and singing and laughing, but it was fun! And it made me not realize how cold it was. I am just so looking forward to the rest of this freezing winter.
But as far as the work- it is going well! In our mission we have the goal of every companionship teaching 20 lessons per week, and me and Sis. Maxfield have accomplished that goal 3 out of our 4 weeks- and the week we didn't we were both sick. But it is great! We are still trying hard to find some new quality investigators, but we're doing pretty well. This week we are going to set a new baptismal date with BB- he is coming along well on his smoking quitting. And we gave him some BOM tapes, and his listens to them every day! He is so excited about them. As far as other investigators, we are struggling to get them to church! We are having lots of great and powerful lessons with them, but certain things are holding them back from coming. So our goal right now is to get them to come to church!
Can you believe how soon Christmas is? There are only 2 more full weeks of this transfer (transfer day is the 22nd) and it has just flown by! Sister Maxfield is going home, and she is completely in denial about it. She is awesome. I hope I am like that when I am getting ready to go home! She just loves being a missionary so much that she doesn't ever want to leave. And this week will be fun/interesting. It is Zone Conference week, and she is going with some other sisters to do musical numbers at basically all of them. So she is leaving Tuesday and coming back Friday, and I am not going with her! I was going to have to just basically work at the jail for 4 days straight, but thankfully we just got another sister who came back after being sick so one of the companionships at the jail right now is a trio. So one of them is going to be my companion for a few days-just like being on exchanges for 4 days straight! And it will be weird because I will see my own companion at our Zone Conference, but then she won't be coming back until the next day. So that should be interesting. But fun! It is funny how being without your companion just seems weird now. I don't know what I will do when I get home and am allowed to be by myself again! You just get so used to it.
Well, I will leave you with a funny experience. So we are teaching this 11 year-old who is the son of a less-active member (he isn't baptized). We go over the other day and start talking to them, then he proceeds to talk for 15 minutes (not exaggerating) about this video game he had rented and played. Seriously it was the most detailed thing in the world. We decided to use this to our advantage and relate this to our lesson. We talked about the Holy Ghost, and it was hilarious. We would say something like "the Holy Ghost can help us and warn us of danger" and he would say like "so it's like in my game when you are sneaking along and your team member hears something and whispers to you that there is something bad up ahead?" And then of course we would talk about how in his game, if they would have yelled at him that something was up there it would have been bad, and the Holy Ghost speaks quietly to us as well. It was just funny. Who knew you could relate the gospel to a video game about zombies.
Anyway, I love you all! I hope your Christmas preparations are going well, and try not to get too caught up in the unimportant things!
Love,
Sister Hafen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment