Well this is weird because I just talked to my family on the phone, so I don’t feel like I have much to say! But a lot happened this week.
First, it was transfers! And another beloved companion leaves me. She might even be reading this one because she is home now, just in time for Christmas. Well, her last day was Monday p-day, and we had a good time going out to lunch and visiting the temple site. Transfer day was Tuesday, and it was exciting because I got to go to Independence where everyone meets and goes their separate ways. It was fun because most of the VC sisters were there and also tons of elders. Of course I cried when we left, because I am a big cry baby, but I know Sis. M is having a great time at home! I also picked up my new companion, Sister Jacobs. She is awesome! We are having a good time together. She is also very bold, which is good for me because I am not, so I am definitely learning from her. She only has 2 more transfers to go, so I am also pretty certain that I will be transferred after this transfer. So I will make sure to cherish my time at the jail this transfer, because I may not ever be back!
First, it was transfers! And another beloved companion leaves me. She might even be reading this one because she is home now, just in time for Christmas. Well, her last day was Monday p-day, and we had a good time going out to lunch and visiting the temple site. Transfer day was Tuesday, and it was exciting because I got to go to Independence where everyone meets and goes their separate ways. It was fun because most of the VC sisters were there and also tons of elders. Of course I cried when we left, because I am a big cry baby, but I know Sis. M is having a great time at home! I also picked up my new companion, Sister Jacobs. She is awesome! We are having a good time together. She is also very bold, which is good for me because I am not, so I am definitely learning from her. She only has 2 more transfers to go, so I am also pretty certain that I will be transferred after this transfer. So I will make sure to cherish my time at the jail this transfer, because I may not ever be back!
And of course, it was Christmas this week! We actually opened our presents on Christmas Eve, because on Christmas we were supposed to go to Independence for a Christmas party with tons of people in the morning. But then, sadly, Missouri had a huge snow storm and we couldn’t go to Independence the next day! So we ended up walking through the snow in our boots and pajamas to the Mascaro’s apartment for breakfast instead- they are a senior couple we work with that just live right down the street from us. It was fun! Then we went home and got ready to go to our bishop’s house to call our families. It was an adventure getting our car out of the parking lot, which we could only do with the help of some strapping young lads who chanced to stop by. But we got there, and got to talk to our families! It was great. It was great to just hear their voices and talk to them. It was probably the most homesick I have been on my mission, but I quickly got over it. I love my family and miss them, but it is amazing how you just don’t have time to be homesick when you are focusing on the work. Also, it helps that I lived away from home for 4 years before I came here.Oh- I didn’t tell you- I can drive now! After a long and ridiculous process of getting the paperwork re-filled out and everything, I got a call on Christmas Eve saying I can finally drive. What a good Christmas present! Another present we got- we went on shift at the jail after we went to the bishop’s, and even though there was a huge storm and tons of snow these two non-members came in. They are both from Mexico, so Sister Jacobs got to give them a tour (she speaks Spanish). It was awesome! By the end of it she gave them each a Book of Mormon and we had an appointment for the next day. We went over and taught the lady, her name is Blanca, and it was awesome! I didn’t understand a lot of what was going on, but I got to teach one part in English and she understood everything I said. She is learning English, but I definitely just think the Spirit speaks all languages, so I know she could feel that. We are going to see her again tonight and I am excited!
One other kind of funny thing- they cancelled church yesterday! Insane. It was kind of a bummer because BB was going to be confirmed and we had several investigators planning to come, but what do you do. It will all happen next week. It makes you realize how much you look forward to church as a missionary- it is the best!
Well, not my longest email but I am sending lots of pictures to compensate, which I’m sure are more interesting anyway. I love you all and am grateful for your examples! I hope you had a merry Christmas and have a very happy New Year!
Love,
Sister Hafen
One other kind of funny thing- they cancelled church yesterday! Insane. It was kind of a bummer because BB was going to be confirmed and we had several investigators planning to come, but what do you do. It will all happen next week. It makes you realize how much you look forward to church as a missionary- it is the best!
Well, not my longest email but I am sending lots of pictures to compensate, which I’m sure are more interesting anyway. I love you all and am grateful for your examples! I hope you had a merry Christmas and have a very happy New Year!
Love,
Sister Hafen
No comments:
Post a Comment