Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Week 30 - La Cygne


First of all, this will be hurried because they unexpectedly are closing the library early today. Lame.

Anyway, this week was ridiculous! Last week I could feel a cold or something coming on, and my companion had also started to feel a little sick. Then on Tuesday I woke up and I did not feel good at all.And neither did Sister Webb. I had a really bad head cold, and she had a really sore throat/cough etc. So basically we ended up staying home for the next 2 days trying to recover from our sicknesses. We did a lot of reading- it isn't really fun to be sick as a missionary. And you feel guilty and useless the whole time, thinking about all the things you could be doing! I think we watched every church produced movie in the house. But thankfully I am feeling much better! My companion hasn't recovered as fast- we went to the doctor the other day and she had sino-bronchitis, whatever that means. But we are back in business and determined to have a good week.

Wasn't General Conference amazing?!?!?!?!?!?! Of course as a missionary you want every talk to be about missionary work, but that's ok. I thought the main theme over both days was teaching your children. I laughed when everyone was talking about all these horrible things happening in the world and the moral decline and stuff- we pretty much are shielded from that as missionaries! I love that I just usually have no idea what bad things are going on. Of course, when I get home I will have to be an informed citizen and all that stuff, but for now it is nice the Lord gives us that tender mercy. I also loved the focus on Christ, especially on Sunday. It was just overall amazing. I wish I had my notes right now, but one thing I have learned on my mission is when taking notes to not just only write things that they say down, but invite the spirit and then listen. The things you learn during a talk about raising children could be something completely different. As you listen to the spirit the Lord can teach you the things YOU need to hear specifically. But if we aren't listening, we might miss out.

Our baptism is a go for this Saturday! It is for a young man named TJ. He just turned 18 and is a friend of one of our members. He is amazing! Seriously, more than anyone else I have taught on my mission he is just prepared. Since he decided for sure to be baptized a couple
of weeks ago, he just accepts everything we teach with an open heart. He just knows it is true. He is a really cool kid. We are also going to take him to the Visitors' Center in Independence this week, which will be great! I am so grateful we have tools like that nearby.

We also had a pretty funny day on Friday. We had district meeting in Paola which is about 20 minutes away. As we were driving, some huge black clouds show up to the left of us. Sister Webb was really excited because she wants to see a tornado (crazy person) and the clouds
looked kind of like some pictures of clouds by tornados we had seen earlier. But alas, it wasn't at all a tornado, just a really fast-moving bad storm. Our car was blowing like crazy on the highway. It was just great. Then on the way home we got lost! But thankfully we just kept driving the direction we knew we needed to be, and miraculously ended up on our road. Awesome. Also that day one of our investigators asked me out over the phone, which of course I declined. It was hilarious. We obviously need to review our purpose as missionaries with him. Why didn't this happen before my mission? :) Also, Sister W. got some cds in the mail from a guy in her last area that was in love with her. It was so funny- one of them was full of country love music we can't listen to, and the other one was 70s and 80s LDS music. Amazing. We had some laughs with that on the way home.

Anyway, I have to get going! This week is going to be awesome- interviews with our mission president, going to Independence, and moving to our new home. And working really hard! I love you all and thanks for all you do for me.

-Sister Hafen

ps. We didn't really take any pictures this week but there should be a bunch next week!

No comments: