Thursday, April 22, 2010

Week 32 - La Cygne


Hello!

Well I wish this week was as exciting as last week, but it wasn't. It was still a good week, but one thing I have found on my mission is that when you have a really good or spiritual day or week, opposition is sure to happen fast. But thankfully I am getting to the point where I am more able to recognize that it really does happen, and can work to overcome it. That sounds really bad, like something horrible happened, but really it is just little things like headaches and investigators having setbacks. Nothing Heavenly Father can't fix!

TJ is still doing well! He doesn't have a calling yet, but we are working on it. He is doing really well and mixing it up in the branch, which is a good thing. Coming up we are going to be having an ice cream social missionary activity which is going to be fun. We are trying to get all the members to invite their non-member friends and family to the church for the social so they can meet us and get a feel for what we are all about. I hope it works out well! It should be great.

We are all moved in now to our new place, and it is fun. It is nice because it is about 15 minutes closer to everything than our last house was, so it is more convenient for the members and saves us time and miles (we have a limit on the amount of miles we can drive each month). I can't even believe that this is the last full week of the transfer! I have been in this area for 11 weeks, which is crazy to me. Who knows what the Lord has in store for me next. If I stay on my current pattern, I will get a new companion- I haven't had the same companion for more than one transfer. I hope not though! Me and Sister Webb are getting along fabulously. I have been greatly blessed with amazing companions. My trainer Sister Blunt goes home in just over a week! It seems like yesterday I came out to the mission field and we were companions. Time just flies out here.

One fun thing we did this week was help Sister Velky- who is the woman we live with now - with her yard. We took a bunch of grass clippings and put them under her fence so she can plant something there. I just laughed to myself as I had my pitchfork in hand with the cows in the background mooing at us- in La Cygne Kansas. Who would have guessed? I felt like my dad would be proud of me since he grew up on a farm. Life is funny.

Well I'm sorry this week this email is so lame. We only have a few minutes left because we are going to get our hair cut! I haven't cut mine in months. But I will leave you with a short scripture thought from my studies this week. In 1 Nephi 8 where Lehi has his vision of the tree of life, I thought it was cool that the first thought Lehi had after he tasted the fruit was that he wanted his family to have it also. So what did he do? He looked and saw them by the large and spacious field (the world) and invited them to come. And some of them did, and some didn't. But it wasn't until he invited them and yelled at them that they knew where to go. It reminded me of D&C 123:12 that Joseph is writing to the Saints from the Liberty Jail. He says there are many who are kept from the truth because they know not where to find it. There are people like that all over, wandering in the large and spacious field because they don't know about the tree or the fruit or even the iron rod. As members of the church our job is the help them get there, and then help them so they don't let go. That's what it's all about!

I love you all!

-Sister Hafen

No comments: