Well, #1 I got a new companion. And #2, a new assignment. I am now at the Independence Visitors' Center! Who saw that one coming? Not me, that's for sure. Also, I am now serving in the Lee's Summit 2nd Ward, which is funny because that is the home ward of one of my friends from BYU who moved back home last summer, so I got to see her on Sunday! Isn't life funny? My new companion is Sister Bowman, and she is great. She came out 2 transfers after me, so this is the first time I have had a younger companion (mission wise). I am loving being back in a city and being able to be around so many sisters and senior couples. There are a few sisters here that I served with at the jail, and one of my old companions, Sister Adamson, is there as well, so I get to be around friends again. Sister Webb is still in Mound City, and she is training a new missionary! She is going to do so great. Anyway, being at the VC is a lot like being at the jail- we serve half a day at the VC and half the day is in our area. It is especially a challenge for us because our area is about 30 minutes away, but we are trying our best to use our time the best we can. Anyway, that is the main news this week. My trainer Sister Blunt went home on Friday, so I was sad to see her go. Now I am on my 6th companion out here, and 3 of them are home! So crazy how fast time goes. But I got to spend some time with her at the VC before she left and went to the mission home, so that was really great.
I am loving my new area and ward. The ward is so supportive of us and they have loved having the sisters there. I was so excited for church to go and see so many people! After being in a branch, it was great. Another funny thing- the ward mission leader is my friend's (from BYU) dad, so he knew all about me before he met me. In PEC he introduced me and showed everyone a picture I had sent his daughter. It was pretty funny. We have a few really cool investigators right now. One we just started teaching yesterday! The sisters before me had met her a little while ago, but she had never really had time to meet with them. We went over yesterday and she was free, so we taught her about the Restoration. It was so amazing! I don't think I have ever taught someone that is so receptive. She grew up in the area so she is already familiar with Joseph Smith and a little bit about him. She was so willing to read the Book of Mormon and was so excited when we gave her a copy and asked her to read. She is awesome! So I am really excited about her. She is going to come to the VC this weekend and hopefully bring her husband and daughter.
Oh, funny story. So I get to Independence on Thursday and we go to our apartment to unpack and stuff. I go into the bathroom and close the door, and then when I am trying to get out I realize I can't open the door. The handle was broken, and I could not get it open. My companion is in another room with some music on, so I try to yell at her but she can't hear me. Finally I start knocking on the wall and she eventually came to save me from the bathroom. It was pretty hilarious. Good thing she can't leave without me! The funny thing is her last companion did the exact same thing on her first day in the apartment. We had a good laugh at that one.
On Sunday I had a really good experience! There was a President's fireside at the VC, which is a fireside where our mission president comes and speaks and missionaries bring their recent converts and investigators. The Liberty 1st Ward (my old ward) sisters came and brought Paul and John and Teresa, who are all people I taught a lot while I was there and they got baptized after I left. It was so great to see them! Then afterward I got to take them on a little tour of the VC and just talk to them a little. It was so fun. I was able to go to John & Teresa's baptism, but I couldn't go to Paul's. When we were teaching him he was struggling to even believe in God. Now he is this amazing priesthood holder that is just solid. I asked him in the tour how that has changed him- how knowing Heavenly Father and Christ are real and they love him has changed his life. He said, "I feel like I have backup now!" It was awesome. That is one of the biggest joys of missionary service- to see these people you teach, and pray over, and worry and stress over accepting the gospel and seeing the light that comes from their eyes. It is a miracle! I love it.
"Behold, verily I say unto you, for this cause I have sent you that you might be obedient, and that your hearts might be prepared to bear testimony of the things which are to come; And also that you might be honored in laying the foundation, and in bearing record of the land upon which the Zion of God shall stand."
How cool is that! That is me! I get to help lay the foundation of the land upon which Zion shall stand. Pretty much amazing. It is really easy to forget how much of a privilege that is every day when you get caught up in the work and everything, but I am going to really try not to.
I love you all! I hope you have a great week. -Sister Hafen
1 comment:
Hiya KK
Seems that you are having a blast and doing a great job (knew you would!) KEEP IT UP
Love you lots
Rosey Posey xx
Post a Comment