Hello Hello!
This is weird because I feel like I have already written this because I got to talk to my family on Sunday! It was great. In some ways it felt like I was just sitting at home talking to my parents, but in other ways I felt very far away. Being a missionary and being set apart is very literal!
Anyway, it was a good week. I forgot how hard it is to get to know people very quickly when you are at a VC, so I still feel like I just got to this area. But that's ok! As a missionary we are given this gift to just love people so fast, and it is great. I LOVED church on Sunday. Mother's Day always makes me cry. The YW presidency all spoke, and it was so good! It was pretty funny because one of them used a story about Abraham Lincoln and how influential his mother was in his life. This was funny because 2 years ago in my student ward I spoke on Mother's Day and my topic was Abraham Lincoln's mother and how she influenced him. It was so random and funny, and then I heard about him again on Sunday. I laughed. Anyway, they all were just so good. For me, Sunday is usually the most stressful day as a missionary. We have to worry about paperwork and meetings and getting our investigators there and just lots of stuff, so it seems we are always scrambling and I sometimes laugh at the fact that Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. Usually we work the hardest on Sunday! But that is good, because it is the Lord's work. Anyway, at church this week I really just got the renewal I needed. I love the spirit and how even when people are talking about one thing, the spirit will use the opportunity to teach you something totally different that you need to learn. I don't know how He does it! :)
Another cool experience we had this week was at our training meeting. Every week we have a VC training meeting where our sister leaders and director train us on how to be better. This week the sister leaders just decided to let us bear testimonies, and the director and senior couples went in another room to train. When they came back in the director gets up and says "I don't know what you trained on, but I can just feel that it was good." It was because the spirit was so strong in the room! It was really cool. I have gained a testimony that that is just what will bring the spirit in faster than anything else. When I was at the MTC Stephen Nadauld came and spoke to us and one thing he said really stood out to me. He said, "While you are teaching, the Holy Ghost watches with arms folded. When you bear testimony, he jumps into the game!" I love that because it is so true. We kind of joke as missionaries about the format we use in teaching. You teach and testify, commit them to do something, and then promise blessings. It is funny though, because without that testimony and the witness of the Holy Ghost, they aren't going to do it. Until the spirit moves them to change and they feel it, you can teach and teach and teach and it will get you nowhere. It's kind of an interesting concept.
Also, on Saturday it was the Kansas City temple groundbreaking! So exciting!!!!! The temple is only about 15 minutes from Liberty, so really not that far even from Independence. I am so excited to come back for the dedication and to see it. It is going to be such a blessing to the people in this area. Also, tomorrow is Zone Conference! I am excited because our zone in combining with my last zone in Olathe, so I will get to see a bunch of the elders from my old zone. And I get to see my last comp Sister Webb and her greenie! I am excited to see how Mound City has been doing. They were supposed to have the ice cream social on Saturday, so I hope it went well!
I have really been enjoying being at the VC and meeting so many people. I'm sure in a few weeks when it gets insanely busy I will want to change my mind, but I am really enjoying it. I especially love taking people through God's Plan for His Family. It is at most VCs now, so if you are near one you should go. It is just a little tour about a family and how they use the principles of the Gospel and the Proclamation on the Family in their lives. It is so powerful! I cry basically every time. But it does a good job and just reminding us how blessed we are to have the Gospel in our lives, and what that means for us. Have you ever stopped to think about the knowledge you have because of the Restoration? All the blessings you have received for living the Gospel? It is pretty incredible to just think about it and thank Heavenly Father for all we have and know because of it.
Well...that is pretty much all I have to say this week. I hope all you mothers had a good Mother's Day! Mothers are the best. What would we do without them?
Have a good week!
-Sister Hafen
No comments:
Post a Comment