Hi! First of all, Happy belated Father's Day to all the fathers!
Yesterday we had a kind of funny experience relating to father's day. After church we went to go contact some people, but of course no one was home. I swear no one is ever home on weekends. So we decide to try and visit some less active members in the ward. We get to one family we have been trying to visit for weeks, but no one is ever home. This time though they actually are there and answer the door! But we quickly realize that they are about to have a family party/dinner and they don't really seem too excited to see us. But then suddenly out of the blue the mom invites us to eat with them! We were kind of shocked. She said, "well you are away from your dads aren't you?" and of course we were, so she made us come in and celebrate with them. It was really nice! And a good way to get to know their family.
Anyway, it was a good week! My dad thinks I am going to set a record for the amount of companions I can have on my mission, which if the current trend of one a transfer continues I will have 13 total on my mission. But I actually love it! Me and Sis. Finlayson have been having lots of fun together. She is super sweet but also has a really dry sense of humor so we have been having some good laughs together. The other day we had a 20 minute conversation on how it would be much easier to teach the Plan of Salvation if we were just allowed to tattoo the whole diagram on our arms instead of using little cutouts as a visual. It was pretty funny. We may be carrying it out with crayola markers at some point this transfer. :) Not for a real lesson though, don't worry.
I am continuing to be amazed at how fast the weather changes here. One day you will go out at 10 and it will be 85 degrees and sunny, and then an hour later it will be thunderstorming and raining like crazy and be cold. I have never seen more lightening in my life! It is kind of cool. You just never know what you are going to get. And of course for us who don't have a way to check a weather forecast, life is interesting! I am just grateful to have a car and not get caught in some of these downpours on a bike!
Well, this week we had Zone Conference and it was amazing as usual. Sister Webb was there and she is still serving in Mound City so I got all the updates on the area. We also got a new cell phone! It is much more sophisticated looking than our last one and I kind of feel like an important business woman when I use it. I just love Zone Conference though. Sister VanKomen showed us a movie clip she has shown before which I love. It is from the movie Facing Giants when one of the football players does the death crawl across the whole football field. Of course she always relates it to missionary work and being a 100 yard missionary, not just a 20 yard or a 50 yard one. This time watching it was just a really good experience with me. The guy who is doing the death crawl (if you know what that is) has to crawl across the field without his knees on the ground, just his hands and feet. So basically all the weight is on his arms. To add to that, one of the other players is sitting on his back. As I was watching it this time I could only think of the Savior carrying His cross and suffering for us, how it would have been so easy to just give up because of how hard it was. But He didn't give up! It was hard, crazy hard for Him. And He probably even wanted to give up. But He didn't because He loves us. And if He didn't give up for us, we can't give up for Him.
Anyway, Zone Conference is the best. I always come out with a huge headache, I guess just because the spirit is so strong. One other good experience we had this week stands out to me. So I think I mentioned a few weeks ago how we had a prompting to go talk to a guy doing yard work outside but didn't follow it right away. But then we actually ended up talking to him and even teaching him. We had set up another time to meet him, but we had no way of contacting him to remind him or anything because he didn't have a phone or really a place he was living. So the day of the appointment he called and cancelled, but it was a message so we didn't set up a new time. Anyway, we were kind of bummed because we didn't know if we could contact him again. So the other day we made a goal to find him. We went to the apartment complex where we met him before expecting to have to do some searching and asking. But instead we pull into the parking lot and there he is pushing a wheelbarrow across the parking lot. Miracle! Well, he works there, but still it was a miracle to be there at the exact right time. So he was actually just finishing up for the day so we talked to him for a while. He actually asked us the question (without us even bringing up the topic) "so, if someone were to get baptized, what would be the process they would go through?" It was pretty awesome. Then we went back later last week and taught him again. He is so great! I was really excited about seeing him again. You just know the Lord has great plans for some people when miracles like that happen.
Well, I think I'm done. I am going to get my haircut today! Super exciting. And we're going to go mini-golfing. It's going to be a good day!
I love you all, and have a good week.
-Sister Hafen
No comments:
Post a Comment