Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Week 42 - Independence Visitors Center
Hello!
Good week. Kind of crazy week. Since my companion is a sister leader at the Visitors' Center, she does a lot of exchanges, which I think I mentioned before. So this week we did two! It is kind of crazy because I feel like I never see her. The night before the day of the exchange I go over and sleep over, then I am gone the whole next day with sisters in other wards. My companion stays in our area. So we did this twice this week, and are doing it twice again this week, then 3 times the next week, then I think we will be done after that. Anyway, it is sad because sometimes you miss out on some cool experiences in your own area, but it is also really fun to work with other sisters and get to know them better, and also to see what the other wards are like. This week I was in a ward right in Independence and another one just outside closer to Kansas City. Pretty fun. One thing I like about exchanges is that I feel like I can be a lot more bold with some of these people because I probably won't ever see them again. Unless of course all the appointments you go to are Spanish speaking, like one of the exchanges I went on this week.
What else happened this week. Oh, Sister Webb (former companion) got transferred to the Liberty Jail! It was really unexpected. So cool! She has spent her whole mission so far in full proselyting areas, so it is kind of a culture shock for her to now be a VC sister. But she will be great. We are also loosing 2 of our senior couples in the mission- they are going home this next week. It is really weird to me because now all the senior couples I worked with at the Jail at the beginning of my mission will be home! That was something I never expected on my mission- to meet and love so many senior missionaries. But it has been an unexpected blessing to be able to have so many substitute parents and grandparents.
Anyway, the VC has started to get super crazy busy some days, especially Saturdays. The best are days where it is already busy, then two unexpected tour buses show up and don't have very much organization. But of course that never really happens. :) I remember before my mission kind of thinking that sisters that served in the Visitors' Centers were kind of not real missionaries. But now, working in the busy season (and it is going to get busier this month!) all morning and being exhausted spiritually and physically after, and then, without a break or nap, going into our area and doing missionary work, I have realized how wrong I was! But I wouldn't change it for the world. I have loved being able to serve at these sites. I really want to go on a church history trip now when I get home because not only have I gained an appreciation for the missionaries that serve there, I have learned to love church history and how important it is when we apply the things we learn into our lives. These kind of places are such a tool for us as church members! They are dedicated places that we can go and feel the spirit. And often times, these are places where prophets, apostles, and others have walked. So cool! It is so interesting for me to take these different people around and see how they react to what we have. The people I feel the saddest for are those who come just to do the history and don't want to really talk about anything spiritual. That's not the point! This is the gospel, and it is all connected. There are so many stories of faith that we can learn so much about. Especially the whole Missouri time period- it was super hard! Pretty much the whole time they were here! But they made it through. And the Lord had a purpose for it, just like He does for the hard times in our lives.
One thing I love to talk about at the VC is the importance of scripture study. There is one part of our history tour where we have a replica of the printing press that was here in Independence. I like to ask people why the Lord would command these people to have a printing press way out here in the boonies of Missouri way back then. But think about it, they were printing the revelations there! So important to these people who were 900 miles away from Kirtland and the rest of the church. It would be like a few hundred of us moving to a remote part of the world and having no access to general conference or the teachings of the prophet. That would stink! I was studying this topic in the Book of Mormon and came across some scriptures I love. It is a story I can really relate to. It is in Mosiah, and King Benjamin is talking to his sons about the importance of scriptures. And of course, these guys have grown up in the church and have always had the scriptures, just like I have. They have righteous parents who have taught them about the gospel. But he is making sure they are remembering what a blessing it is to have the scriptures. In chapter 1 he says:
"3 My sons, I would that ye should remember that were it not for these plates, which contain these records and these commandments, we must have suffered in ignorance, even at this present time, not knowing the mysteries of God.
5 I say unto you, my sons, were it not for these things, which have been kept and preserved by the hand of God, that we might read and understand of his mysteries, and have his commandments always before our eyes, that even our fathers would have dwindled in unbelief, and we should have been like unto our brethren, the Lamanites, who know nothing concerning these things, or even do not believe them when they are taught them, because of the traditions of their fathers, which are not correct.
6 O my sons, I would that ye should remember that these sayings are true, and also that these records are true. And behold, also the plates of Nephi, which contain the records and the sayings of our fathers from the time they left Jerusalem until now, and they are true; and we can know of their surety because we have them before our eyes."
I just love that. Without our scriptures, we would be ignorant and suffering in unbelief! And I love the last line. We can know of their surety because we have them before our eyes. We don't have to wonder if the scriptures are important for us, we need to read them and see for ourselves if they change our lives. The scriptures are the best.
So anyway, that is that. Life is good! Me and Sis. Finlayson are getting along super well. I don't know why Heavenly Father has blessed me with such amazing companions, but I know that one of the reasons I needed to come on my mission was to meet some of these amazing and fabulous sisters. Even the ones I haven't been companions with- I am constantly amazed at all the sisters here and the strength of their testimonies and the things they do. I learn so much from them.
Well, I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week!
-Sister Hafen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment