Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Week 43 - Independence Visitors Center


Hello everyone!
Happy Independence Day (2 days ago) from Independence!

Ok, I just thought that was fun. Anyway, what a good week! We had some great experiences this week. One of them was just last Monday. It started out horrible, but it all worked out how it needed to. So it was our P-day as usual, and the other sisters we share a car with on P-day had the car that afternoon. We had planned that night to go to dinner at a member home at about 5:45 then we had an appointment with Roberto, who is the guy who asked us about baptism and stuff. So we were really excited. Except the sisters didn't bring the car to us until 5:55, which was pretty much our fault because we had forgotten to tell them earlier we needed the car a little earlier than usual. Anyway, by the time we drove out to Lee's Summit, met the member who gave us a ride to her house, and started eating it was 6:30. Our next appointment was supposed to be at 7, and it would take at least 15 minutes to get there. Oh, and I forgot to mention that right after we got the car, we realized it was out of gas so we had to stop for some. Needless to say I was a little bit stressed. One of my least favorite things in the world is to make people wait for me or inconvenience people- basically not having control over a situation like this. But then, right as we are about to start dinner at the members house, one of their little boys (they have 4) spilled his milk all over the place. Then, right as it is cleaned up and we are about to start again, another little boy does the same thing. And at that point, I just laughed. It was obvious that there was opposition for us on this day. But I guess you can either get all upset, which I had been doing, or you can just pray and do what you can and have faith that everything will work out. And it did. We were 45 minutes late to our appointment with Roberto, but it worked out and we had an amazing lesson with him. We even set a goal with him to work for toward baptism- August 5th! Also known as my birthday. So I don't know that he will actually get baptized on that day, but that is the goal right now. He is working on getting work off on Sundays so he can come to church. This week we also brought him to the church and took him on a little tour- basically just showed him the chapel and did a lesson. It was great! He is just so prepared. I know that we were put in his path for a reason.

Alright, besides that I was super impressed with this cute lady in our ward we visited this
week! She is turning 85 this week and even though she can't walk very well or get around too much, she always comes to church. And she told us for the past 5 years she has read the entire standard works- Old and New Testaments, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price- all the way through in one year. Amazing! I want to be like her when I am 85. Anyway, and of course I went on some exchanges this week. For one of them, I even got to attend a baptism! It was super funny. They had tried to move the exchange to a different day so the one sister wouldn't miss it, but it just didn't work out. So I was there, along with the other two sisters (they are in a trio companionship). I even played the piano. It was really cool though. Anytime I get to attend a baptism there is always a special spirit there. The people are just so happy! It is so life-changing and amazing.

I also had a really neat experience for me this week personally. So this last Friday marked the 3rd anniversary of my grandma's death. I can't believe she has been gone that long! When she died it was really hard for me. If you know anything of my grandma, you know how amazing she was and is. She is such an example to me of persevering through trials with a good attitude and a smile. She is one of the most pure people I have ever met. I don't remember her ever saying anything rude or yelling at me or anything like that, but I do remember the little things she would do to help people all the time. And I remember how she would always tell me she loved me and I have never doubted that she meant it with all of her heart. Last week I told my mom to go to the Visitors' Center in St. George (which she hasn't done yet by the way) and see the presentation called "God's Plan for His Family." It is a tour I take people on most every day at the VC, and it is about strengthening our families. You walk through it, and watch videos that have different experiences with a family in each room. So I won't spoil it for my mom because she is going to go this week :), but it is all about the plan of salvation and what is important and how we need to base our lives on Jesus Christ. The first about 5 times I saw it I cried, but of course going through it so many times I have become
kind of desensitized to it. Anyway, on Friday I knew I would probably go through it and cry a little. But by the time shift was almost over, I hadn't even been through it that day. All the tours I had taken had been doing history and other things. So I grabbed my companion and we went through it ourselves. It was such a different perspective, to just soak it in and focus on myself instead of the people I am taking through. And I thought I would start bawling, but I didn't. The last video you watch is all about the Restoration and Jesus Christ. And when it was all over I started to cry a little, but not because of the reasons I thought I would. I just realized how grateful I am. How being on my mission and teaching these things to people has turned my small understanding into a solid testimony and knowledge that it will all be ok. It will all work out. Because of our Savior! He suffered and died for us so it can be ok. And although I may miss my grandma and I will miss those of my family and friends that will die in the future, it isn't a sad thing. I know that Jesus Christ is the only answer. He is the only one we can turn to to make things alright. He gives us hope for the future and as we turn to Him our testimonies will be changed from a simple and small hope that things will be ok to a sure and powerful knowledge. I am grateful for that. He can change us if we let Him.

Well, on that note, I will close. I am getting to the point in my mission where I am really starting to love every bit of it. I am starting to understand really why it has to be hard. This is the greatest thing I could have ever chosen to do at this point in my life, and I am so forever grateful I did choose it. The Church is true! And I love being a part of it.

I love you all! Have a fantastic week.

-Sister Hafen

No comments: