Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Week 57 - Great Bend, Kansas



Hello everyone! Well, it finally happened. After some failed attempts this transfer, we finally had a baptism!!!!! So exciting. It has been amazing to be a part of teaching Anthony and seeing his conversion. When I first got here, I thought he would come along eventually but he would take awhile. But he was clearly prepared and it was the right time for him! He is the kind of person that once he commits to something, he commits with everything. So after we solidly committed him with a date for baptism a couple of weeks ago, he has just taken off. This last week (since he works Mon-Fri and we don't get to see him much those days) I made him a homework chart with movies and scriptures and talks to do everyday so he would be prepared for his baptism, and he totally did all of it! And then he would tell us what he learned. We talked to him on the phone the other day and he was telling us how he was out with some friends on Friday and telling them he had some "church stuff" on Saturday (his interview for baptism). Then they started asking questions, and he basically taught them the Restoration of the gospel. And invited them to his baptism. He is so awesome! He is going to be a huge asset to the ward and to the missionaries here. So amazing. It was sad because none of his family or friends came to the baptism, but he wasn't upset about it. He told us he just felt so clean after he was baptized. I love it. Baptism is real! I guess because I was baptized at 8 I don't really remember feeling anything but good at my baptism. And that's ok, but it is cool to see these people who have lived a different lifestyle change their ways and get baptized, and the literal change they can feel. I just love it. This is what we live for as missionaries! Even if I wasn't a part of a single baptism I would still do this, but baptisms are just the best gift ever for a missionary.

Anyway, that is the most exciting thing that happened this week! Well, the most good exciting thing that happened. We had kind of a bad exciting thing happen- a car accident! But before you get worried, it wasn't bad at all. We were driving (I wasn't driving) down one of the main roads in town and stopped to turn left (no turning lane), and the guy behind us didn't see us stop and rammed into the back/side of our car. He told us there was a wasp in his car and he was trying to get it out- he probably looked away right as we stopped, poor guy. But it all worked out, he stopped and called the police and he has insurance, so everything is all good. We have just had to do a lot of paperwork and will probably have to be carless for a few days soon, but oh well.

Investigators are doing well! I didn't talk a lot about them last week because we were having some sad things happen. Pam has been ignoring us for two weeks now. We were really becoming close and starting to get at their deep concerns, and then she texted us and told us not to come over for our appointment, and to come back next week. Well we did, but still she won't answer the phone or door. That was kind of sad for us, but I guess she has her agency. Hopefully we will get to talk to her soon, especially since transfers are this week. Neither of us are planning to leave without talking to her! So we'll see. Our cute golden couple Stan and Nadine are still adorable. They have been really busy with harvesting and stuff, but we finally got out to see them this week. Unfortunately they are really involved in their little church in town and they just can't leave it right now because it is failing. They just think that would be horrible to do, which I guess is true. But they love everything we teach. They always tell us how much they have learned from us- their favorites are that they lived with God before them came here to earth, that the Book of Mormon doesn't replace the Bible but is a companion volume, and what the Holy Ghost feels like. Those things sound so simple to us, but these people are in their 70s and never knew those things! They even asked for more pamphlets and stuff to give to people, and they are going to go to the VC and Liberty Jail next time they are in Kansas City area. They are just so cute! I have a feeling that they will be baptized one day, but right now isn't the time. They are some of my all time favorite people on my mission so far. Morris (the car accident guy) is doing well! I think he is having some problems at home right now, but we taught him the Plan of Salvation and he loved it. We found out he watched almost all of General Conference last weekend. He wanted to find something that he didn't agree with -mainly why he watched it- but he didn't find anything! I think he will be coming along soon. He is like Anthony in the way that once he makes a commitment, he really makes a commitment. Also that I know he will bring other people into the church. So I am excited about him!

Well those are the biggest investigator updates. Like I said transfer calls are tomorrow, so I find out my fate then. We kind of think I will stay and Sis. Glade will go, but really you just never know. I can't believe I only have three transfers left. My mom lovingly let me know that the mission office sent them my release date, and the ward has already scheduled my homecoming talk! Great. It is President's Day weekend in February. I don't know how I feel about all of this. It is going too fast!

Well, oh! We found this monument outside of town that is a monument to some priest or missionary or something talking about how he brought Christianity here to the area for the first time. On the sign it talks about how he came to "the center of the new world" to bring it. We decided that instead of being in the middle of nowhere, we are actually in the center of the new world! Such a positive way to look at it. :)

One last story for you.I was laughing really hard at this the other day so I thought i'd share it with you. We went to go contact a referral the other day, but they weren't home. We heard some guys across the street talking and I heard the word Utah. It was clear they saw us and were talking about us. Sis. Glade said, "great, they are talking about polygamy." I said, "Let's go talk to them!" She wasn't too excited about the idea, especially since it was clear there was alcohol over there, but there was a little kid and a woman and they were in public, so I wasn't worried about it. We go over and started talking to them! The best- the guy that was drinking a little bit said, "Oh, I thought you guys were Mormons!" and I said "we are!" Then the best, "Oh, do you like that?" Way funny. Of course I do, I am a missionary! Then they started asking about the new polygamy show on TV (my favorite thing ever! Not.) and we explained a little bit about it and that we don't actually do that. We left them a card and cleared up some misconceptions and that was that. But, the main reason I was laughing at all of this is that it was a close repeat of a situation that happened way back in January, in my third transfer (it is sis. Glade's 3rd transfer). Me and Sis. Jacobs were contacting a referral, and they weren't home. We see some people across the street laughing and smoking and clearly looking and talking about us. Sis. Jacobs wanted to go talk to them, and I thought she was crazy. Does any of this sound familiar? But she dragged me over and we talked to them. It didn't turn into anything amazing, but we were able to answer some questions and clear up some misconceptions and introduce some people to the church. It was such a parallel that it was just funny to me. I am always grateful for moments like that that help me realize that I have actually grown on my mission!

Well, that is all for now. I love you all!

-Sister Hafen

No comments: