Sunday, March 1, 2009

"A Laugh is a Smile Out Loud"

So. Funny story. When I moved into my apartment this year, I loved the fact that I had my own room. I loved everything about the room, except for one little thing. You know those vinyl letters you can put up- lots of people use them to affix cute sayings/quotes to their walls? Well in my room there was one of those quotes above my closet. The quote read "A laugh is a smile out loud." I sat on my bed and looked at it for a while, trying to figure out what it was trying to say. I got what it literally meant, but I started to search for any deeper meaning, any glimmer of profoundness. I came to the conclusion after about 5 minutes that the quote in question didn't actually contain any deeper meaning, it just meant that a smile was a laugh out loud.

After this realization I wanted to rip it off the wall and throw it out the window immediately, but I decided to hold off until I had some other people look at it/analyze it for me. My roommates looked at it and nothing. I told my mom about it, nothing. My sister, again nothing. I finally decided to just get rid of it because I didn't want a stupid pointless quote above my closet for me to look at every day, so I did.


Before taking it down my roommates and I were trying to come up with something funny I could change it to by taking only some of the letters away. This is the best I could do:


After, we realized we could have changed it to "A laugh is out loud," which would have been a lot funnier and which I decided had just about the same amount of meaning behind it as the original.

Anyway. So that was that, and I didn't think much about it. Then a couple of months later, our friend Kristen was over and was telling us about this cute vinyl quote she had just bought to hang on her wall. Guess what it was. Yeah.

Moving on to the thing that makes this funny in the first place. Last weekend I went home and when I got back my roommates had a fun little surprise for me. I walk into my room and look up and what do I see:


Robyn got a cricut for Christmas and they made it for me. How thoughtful. :)

P.S. If you are one of those people that loves this quote, I am in no way trying to criticize your taste in vinyl quotes. But I would love to hear why you love it/what it means to you!