Friday, November 6, 2009

Week 8 - Liberty Jail

November 2, 2009


Hello all and Happy November!

Can you believe it is already November? I know I say something like this every week but time is seriously flying. Well, it was a good week! We weren't able to teach that many lessons this week (our goal is 20 a week) because there were a lot of meetings, and on two days we had meetings in the mornings and then were at the jail the rest of the day. But that's ok! This week is the last full week of the transfer and we are really determined to work hard for those 20 lessons.

Guess what else is this week...Elder Russell M. Nelson is coming! He is coming to reorganize the Liberty stake I think and he is doing a mission conference on Friday when he is here. It is going to be awesome!!!!! Before the meeting starts we are going to have a picture with him and all the missionaries, and then he is going to "personally greet each missionary," which should be fun.

But, this last week was good. On Thursday we had interviews with President, and that was fun. I just love my mission president and his wife, they are amazing people. I forgot to ask him though if I am considered to be a visitors' center sister now! Because as you know, I wasn't called to the VC, but he just put me there once I got out here. So I don't really know what to expect. My guess is that I will stay at the jail for the meantime, but I have no idea. We find out next Tuesday about transfers and then transfer day is Thursday.


Halloween was also a fun day this week! If you serve in the VC the VC directors (Elder and Sister Nelson) take you on a little church history trip. So me and 7 other sisters got to go. We started at Liberty Jail, and me and Sister Walters gave everyone a tour. Sister Walters is another sister at the jail, and she has only been out 1 transfer more than me. But the other 6 sisters have been at the Independence VC so it was cool for them to see the jail. Then we went up to Far West and looked around. There is really nothing there except the temple site in which there are cornerstones. It is crazy, because at one point in 1838 before the Saints were driven out, Far West was the biggest city in Missouri! But now you would never know it, there is nothing around but farmland and a few homes here and there. After that we went up to Adam-Ondi-Ahman. A man named Brother Brickey, just a church member that lives in the area, met us and talked to us a lot about it and what we know about it. Cool stuff! If you don't know, Adam-Ondi-Ahman and the surrounding area is the place that Adam and Eve went to after they were cast out of the garden of Eden. So cool! But we talked a lot about the second coming and what will take place there.


Anyway, after that we came home and me and Sis. Blunt did a little proselyting. Considering it was almost 5 on halloween it was interesting, but we knocked some doors and have some potentials that we are going to go back and visit soon. Once it got dark we weren't able to be out, so we got to go home! Weird. But we, as nerdy missionaries, just talked about the gospel and different doctrines and stuff. We also of course had TONS of candy that people had sent us, and Sis. Walters had a huge box of glowsticks so we got out those bad boys and lit them up. It was pretty fun. All I can say is, missionaries are weird, and we don't really know what to do with ourselves when we have spare time.

Well, besides that, a lot of our investigators are being little stinkers. We are probably going to have to drop a lot of them this week because some of them aren't responding to calls, not keeping commitments, etc. And our job is to teach people that are interested! So we are praying this week that we can find some new investigators that are actually interested. We weren't able to meet with that MTC referral last week because she cancelled, but are hoping we can this week, and have another appointment with a different referral today. So that should be good! BB is committed to be baptized on November 14th, which is coming up soon. He is still smoking and struggling with quitting, but he is going to have a priesthood blessing this week and that should really help.

Well, thank you for all you do for me, and I would love to hear from you!

-Sister Hafen

No comments: